Good news.... Bad news....
Well, this is a turn up for the books. In one news update, I'll have you wetting yourself in delight, and gnashing your teeth in frustration. Ahh, the joys of toying with emotions...
Super Smash Bros; Melee has launched in Japan and America. Not only is Fox in there, but Falco has been tucked away as a secret character. So that's what rare meant when they said "Falco had gone off to start a solo career" Or was it?
Here's a run down of all the Starfoxy parts in SSBM
Characters: Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi
Stages: Corneria, Venom
- Landmaster Tank
- Great Fox
- Fox McCloud
- Fox McCloud (SMASH pink)
- Fox McCloud (SMASH blue)
- Falco Lombardi
- Falco Lombardi (SMASH pink)
- Falco Lombardi (SMASH blue)
- Slippy Toad
- Peppy Hare
- Andross (StarFox)
- Andross (StarFox 64)
The Corneria stage is much the same as the original SSB's Sector Z stage, except it's smaller, and you can stand on the guns sticking out the front of the Great Fox - at least until it starts shooting.
The Venom stage is played on the four wings of the Great Fox as it flies towards the screen and away from an incredible Venom backdrop. The tail fin also gets in the way in direct center stage.
Falco is a clone character of Fox, so they have more or less the same moves (Falco can jump higher, and Fox's blaster doesn't phaze the opponent). They also have a new attack since Fox's debut in SSB64 - the Fox Illusion (or Falco Phantasm), that makes them speed forward doing damage, and leaves an illusion of that character behind.
Event Matches that involve the Fox crew:
- Yoshi's Egg (Fox is one of the 3 CPU characters trying to break the egg you're protecting)
- All-Star Match 2 (Fox is considered a "realistic" character by Nintendo, and so appears in this Event where you fight them all one-by-one)
- Slippy's Invention (Fox and Falco both appear in this one... kind of! They're both using the cloaking device so you can't see them throughout the battle)
- Target Acquired (You play as Falco, and you have to KO Jigglypuff more times than the Arwings do)
- Space Travellers (You play as Ness and have to fight against all the characters who come from space - including Fox and Falco - one-by-one in Onett)
- Birds of Prey (Fox (You) VS. CPU Captain Falcon and Falco on the Big Blue stage)
- All-Star Match Deluxe (Fight against all of the clone characters, including Falco)
(Thanks to Jimmy Eat Fryguy for the info)
Several big 1st party games have been pushed back from Q1 stateside launch dates. One of these, unfortunately, was Starfox Adventures.
The reason the game has been held back is for the Fur-rendering. this revolutionary technique means each bristle on our furry heroes is individually animated, giving a level of realism never seen before, and pushing Gamecube's Graphics far beyond anything currently available. Apparently, it looked so good in the cut scenes, they decided to implement it through the whole game. When it does come out, it should be able to blow away even the most avid X-box fan...
Nintendo of America will only confirm SA:DP is "pencilled in for 2002." Damn.
May 3rd: G-Day
Yes, that's right. A leaked press release has confirmed Gamecube will launch may 3rd. The "official" announcement will be made on Monday
Unfortunately, Starfox Adventures didn't make the starting EU lineup....
...However, some other games did make it, including Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Resident Evil: Biohazzard, and, most importantly, Smash Bros. Consider it NoE's way of saying "sorry for being late"....
In the press release, Nintendo of Europe announced Starfox Adventures is "Coming Q3, 2002" based on translation times, this probably means SA:DP will hit stateside late Q2...
....But rumours of a Sonic Adventure 2 style simultaneous launch won't go away.....
...Which means the US launch date will be put back, too.
I've managed to get part of the SA:DP soundtrack. Listen to it here (469KB). Those of you with good memories might recognise it as a remix of the Starfox 64 level meteo. More on the way.....